There is a big influence of technology on our daily life. Electronic devices, multimedia and computers are things we have to deal with everyday. And no one can deny that the Internet is becoming more and more important for nearly everybody as it is one of the newest and most forward-looking media and surely “the” medium of the future
With steep competition from 3.9/4G Technologies & even Satellite technologies that are racing ahead for providing faster broadband, the terrestrial broadband providers have responded with FTTH (Fiber-to-the-Home). FTTH is a new technology that delivers high-speed Internet access from a central point directly to the premises of individual residences through fiber optic cables. A fiber optic cable is made up of a bundle of pure glass threads, each about the diameter of human hair. This state-of-the-art network can carry data signal via light waves instead of electricity and it is able to transmit information at virtually unlimited speed and capacity (higher bandwidth). If you have a need for speed, it is the choice to go.
In Nepal, FTTH is slowly gaining momentum. Out of 39 ISPs that operate in Nepal (according to ISPAN), only a handful offer FTTH services but many are slowly incorporating it. So one might wonder which ISP to go for? With every one touting their marketing schemes from all directions it’s easy to get disoriented. Some even making false marketing promises. So, it is important to do some research on aspects like installation fees, after-service support, reliability and stability. To help you out, we’ve listed some of the best yet affordable internet service providers .
- Vianet Communications Pvt. Ltd. Vianet Communications Pvt. Ltd. is the 1st and the widest FTTH internet service provider of Nepal. Established in 1999, it offers one of the fastest internet services for home and office users at reasonable price. Currently, it provides 3 plans (Home, Small to Medium and Corporate Plans). It has modern customer portal which offers Speed boost, Data Top-up and Service Details. They are located at Prera Bussiness Center, Jawalakhel Road, Lalitpur. We can even pay your bills online from eSewa, iPay, Hello Paisa, Nepal Investment Bank, SCT Pay and Everest bank.
- Installation charge is Rs. 5000
- ONU (Optical Network Unit) (included in installation) + Broadband Router Costs around Rs. 2000
- Starter Price is Rs. 1300 per month for 5 Mbps download/upload with 80GB Data and then after unlimited @ 384Kbps
- Available only inside Kathmandu Valley (Kathmandu, Bhaktapur & Lalitpur)
2. WorldLink Communications Pvt. Ltd. One of the earliest ISPs of Nepal, WorldLink has been providing reliable services to customers from all walks of life. It is providing cable zoom, fiber zoom and unlimited broadband packages for home.
- Installation costs Rs. 4000
- Optical rental Rs. 2000, free for yearly subscribers
- Rs. 1600 per month with 15Mbps for 150GB
- Fallback Speed of 512kbps
3. Classic Tech. It is another broadband Internet service provider established in 2009 in Nepal. Corporate houses and business centers are their customers. They are also providing FTTH services They are focused in Home and Office customers and has promotional tariff. They are located in 3rd Floor of Alfa-Beta Complex, New Baneshwor.
- Installation charge is Rs. 2500
- Optical Network Unit (ONU) is applicable in rental charge
- Rs. 1,600 per month for 15Mbps bandwidth with 160GB data
- Fallback Speed of 384kbps
- Available in Kathmandu Valley, Dharan, Itahari, Biratnagar, Hetauda, Birgunj, Banepa, Chitwan and Butwal
4. Subisu Cablenet Pvt. Ltd. Subisu was established in 2001 and one of the largest internet service provider in Nepal. It offers high speed cable internet with free TV cable. They also provides wireless internet for home user for 768 Kbps unlimited internet for Rs. 1100* per month. Subisu’s fiber optics cable connection to the home or building has been proven to be the shining star for Next Generation Access and provides excellent platform for high or ultra high speed access technologies.
- Installation Free if subscribed for 3 months
- Rs. 1700 per month for 10Mbps bandwidth for 70GB data
- Fallback Speed of 512kbps unlimited
- Extended up to 60 districts of Nepal
Note: The prices above are sans VAT. 13% VAT is applicable in all.
So, do you use any one of the above mentioned Internet service providers? How is your experience with them? Or, if you use another ISP, share your experience in the comments below.